Monday, August 24, 2015

0: a tech blog from the least tech savvy girl you'll ever meet

Despite the title of this post, I'm not completely helpless when it comes to technology - but I'm pretty darn close. I took the mandatory computer classes in elementary and middle school, resulting in a quick typing speed and very general knowledge of keystrokes and Microsoft products. In high school, I was the editor of our school yearbook, so I'm slightly familiar with Adobe products such as InDesign and Photoshop, and that's pretty much the extent of my experience.

 Even though I use it almost daily, I still have to Google search the keystroke to screenshot anything on my desktop, every single time. I've never even glanced at half of the tools and applications on my computer, for fear of doing something wrong and causing my laptop to be wiped or spontaneously combust.

 I'm hoping that this class can prove that I'm actually not entirely incompetent, and reach into the depths of my being to pull out some technology skills. While I'm not hoping to switch my major to Computer Science anytime soon, (seriously, both of my parents majored in it, and I'm still lost,) I do think that being able to cover the basics of technology is an important skill to have, especially in the world of education.

 Today I found out a bit about my learning style, such as the fact that I learn better by doing something with it, like explaining it to others. I also like to focus on possibilities instead of hard facts, prefer learning visually, and learn in large jumps rather than detailed steps. I think I already knew all of that about myself, but it's still pretty neat to be told what it all means. Check out my nifty results below:




Hopefully this post isn't too rough. I've been on blogger since 2011 and have two other blogs with zero posts, (shocker, I know,) because as I said before, I'm pretty inept when it comes to technology. Both of the other times that I tried, I got half way through the initial design before giving up. However, I'm excited to keep up with this since I've been wanting to bring my writing to a public forum for quite a while now.

 -Keri

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keri,
    You have quite a bit under your belt. Knowing Office and Adobe mean you know transferable skills. Photoshop is not easy.

    Start with your comfort zone and then take one more step.

    PS - My mom is a computer systems analyst like your folks. It's a good thing. I still send projects to my mom for her feedback.

    ReplyDelete