Monday, August 31, 2015

1: computers in the classroom and living as a digital native

The prevalence of technology in this day in age, especially in the United States is astounding.  Even the youngest of children seem to be experts when it comes to the latest gadgets, which is why it's unsurprising that technology is used widely in classrooms.  Students work on computers, information is projected onto the walls for them, and they have resources such as audiobooks, video, and podcasts.  

Technology in the classrooms present opportunities and challenges for both teachers and students.  On one hand, technology helps teachers to present knowledge to students in new, innovative ways, that are easily accessible, which couldn’t be done before.  On the other hand, it takes time for teachers to learn the technology, and even more time to teach it to the students before it can actually be put to practice.  It requires funding and constantly upgrading to the next best thing in order to keep students ahead.


I have no doubt in my mind that my classroom will be full of electronics and technology, probably far more advanced than where we’re at currently.  While my time in a classroom is probably not that far away, there’s endless possibilities as to how much technology could advance between now and then.  Every student will probably have their own computer, surely taking advantage of the wide range of resources on it.  I think that even though there will be a curriculum to follow when it comes to technology, it’s still important to know how to research and use books or other resources, so I’m sure I’ll incorporate that into my classroom as well.

While I’m not the best when it comes to technology, I am classified as a “digital native”, since I’ve never known a world without technology.  Because of this, I don’t think I will fall too far behind as technology keeps progressing, even though I’m sure my students will be better with it than I am, in the same way that many students now are more able to work technology than older generations.  I definitely remember classmates in high school having to show teachers how to work the projector or how to do some nifty things on online programs.  I think that’s just how it goes.  As digital natives grow up with the progressing technology, they’ll be able to use it, since they don’t know anything else.  Ironically, they’ll always be the ones teaching it to the digital immigrants, their teachers.  Funny how it all works out.


-Keri

5 comments:

  1. I think this makes a ton of sense because in this generation technology is all the majority kids today know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this makes a ton of sense because in this generation technology is all the majority kids today know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful blog post. It is strange to think that one day we will be those teachers fumbling with technology while a student fixes the issue with one single click.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful blog post. It is strange to think that one day we will be those teachers fumbling with technology while a student fixes the issue with one single click.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you all helped me this week with Twitter. :) The key is not to be afraid of technologies you are not fluent in. If we teachers always wait until we are completely fluent in a technology then schooling would always be based on old technology. Take a risk... try it! I've never had a "worst case" scenario occur even when a project basically fails. Which means it doesn't go to publication and I decide that we have invested enough time and we should move on. Nonetheless, we (the students AND I) learn something. If the project is content standards-based, students will have learned the science, math or social studies regardless if the tech part works well.

      Delete